EndurElite Chief Endurance Officer Matt Mosman discusses how the supplement Taurine can enhance the performance of runners, cyclists, and other endurance athletes.
Taurine supplementation can enhance the performance of runners, cyclists, and other endurance athletes
Toro! Toro! Olé! Good morning, endurance friends. Matt Mossman, the endurance guru over at EndurElite, coming at you with another endurance fast fact.
The Biggest Myth About The Supplement Taurine. It's not made of bull sperm
But, before we get to this, or that, there's a myth out there that taurine comes from bull semen.
- One, ew.
- Two, it actually was first identified in bull bile.
- And three, nowadays, luckily, we don't have to go out to the pasture and romanticize a bull to get our taurine.
No Bull. Taurine Supplementation Benefits Runners, Cyclists, and Other Endurance Athletes
So, how can taurine benefit endurance performance? There are a few ways. There's a bunch of them, but we'll just cover three, real quick.
- One, taurine can increase insulin sensitivity, meaning, it helps keep blood glucose within normal ranges.
- Two, taurine can prevent muscle breakdown, it can prevent lactic acid buildup, and all around, it's just good for muscle function. Taurine is found in skeletal muscle, and a lack of taurine can compromise skeletal muscle function by approximately 80%, which is really significant.
- Three, taurine can help promote angiogenesis, or the formation of new blood vessels, specifically capillary vessels, where a lot of nutrient and oxygen exchange occurs in the body, especially during exercise. So, with more blood vessels, oxygen and nutrients are delivered more efficiently, and you can perform endurance, exercise a lot, lot better.
Where Can I Learn More About The Supplement Taurine?
So, that's the 411 on taurine. If you really want to geek out, head over to the EndurElite blog at www.endurelite.com, right down here in the corner, where we have a more in-depth look at taurine in one of our blog posts. So, check it out.
And until next time, my endurance friends. Stay fueled, stay focused, stay fast, and no bull.