As more and more patented ingredients hit the market, our ability to more quickly and easily reach our health and fitness goals becomes a reality.
For some supplements, these patented ingredients tend to become a striking factor that works towards improving training performance and the breakthrough of any barriers you may encounter. In the case of this article, something along the lines of Velositol.
Researchers have been working tirelessly to provide us with the next generation of innovative ingredients that can boost muscle protein synthesis and provide you with the ability to gain significant amounts of lean muscle mass.
Velositol is one of these such ingredients that’s changing the game, and this revolutionary ingredient was developed by a company you may have heard of before, Nutrition21.
In this article, we will look at precisely what Velositol is, what it claims to do, if it’s safe, and in what dosages you should look for it at in your supplement formulas. Let’s dive in.
Note: It is recommended that you consult with your doctor before starting any exercise program or using any supplement to ensure you are healthy enough to do so and do not have any health concerns that could become intensified through the inclusion of strenuous activity or the possibility of a supplement interacting with any medications you may be on or exacerbating any medical condition you may have.
WHAT IS VELOSITOL?
Velositol is a unique amylopectin and chromium complex that helps to increase muscle protein synthesis when it is combined with protein and a proper training protocol.
It’s GRAS confirmed, and it is recommended to have two grams of Velositol per day in something like protein shakes, energy bars, protein bars, and meal replacement bars – considering the fact that these products can generally be taken up to around three times a day.
Velositol is designed in such a way that it can help increase muscle strength and power by speeding up MPS (muscle protein synthesis).
It also works as an ignitor to help skyrocket your muscle growth, lean body mass, and muscle recovery.
Velositol is created and sold by one of the most well-known supplement ingredient suppliers, Nutrition21. They are quite popular for their patented ingredients, such as Chromax® and Nitrosigine®.
WHAT CAN VELOSITOL DO?
The role of Velositol is to help increase the capacity of protein in the muscles. It is one of the most unique ingredients on the market today and, as mentioned earlier, is made up of a combination of amylopectin and chromium.
Amylopectin is considered a source of sugar and is used to help increase energy storage in the body. In the body, amylopectin is broken down incredibly fast and has a high glycemic index which can cause a spike in blood sugar.
Chromium is a trace mineral that supports the function of insulin and helps manage blood sugar levels. It helps metabolize macronutrients that are consumed throughout the day (protein, carbohydrates, and fat).
Now that we have an understanding of what Velositol is, let’s see how Velositol works.
Velositol works by increasing the hormone that enables our muscle cells to become more responsive to insulin.
As a result, Velositol triggers the insulin response and cellular protein that can help you improve muscle damage and speed up muscle recovery.
Velositol, in combination with protein and training, can enhance insulin sensitivity which leads to greater uptake of amino acids into muscles, which also aids in fueling muscle protein synthesis.
Improved insulin action leads to various anabolic effects, such as an increase in nutrients metabolism and an increase in the rate of amino acid and glucose uptake in muscle cells. Hence, Velositol is said to stimulate muscle protein synthesis with the help of improved insulin activity.
VELOSITOL IN RELATION TO PROTEIN
With Velositol, you can essentially double the power of your protein intake.
Velositol, when used with protein, is designed to speed up and boost muscle protein synthesis, which is a key to improved muscle growth, faster muscle recovery, and lean body mass.
Besides that, Velositol can also boost insulinogenic function, as discussed above. It can increase amino acid uptake by providing fuel for working muscles to get the most out of your training session, even post-workout.
VELOSITOL, WHEN MIXED WITH PROTEIN, CAN DO THE FOLLOWING:
- It can significantly accelerate muscle protein synthesis more than protein alone can do.
- Doubles the power of protein on muscle protein synthesis when compared to protein alone in one single dose.
- Promotes a leaner body composition.
- It unlocks the potential of protein to improve muscle-building activity post-workout.
VELOSITOL CONNECTION WITH MYOKINE
Last but not least, an additional mechanism of action can be through enhanced myokines, such as fractalkine and musclin. These are basically cytokines that are released by the muscles when you are working out that can lead to muscle protein synthesis and hypertrophy.
Both pre-clinical, as well as clinical studies, have shown that groups taking Velositol had the best levels of myokines.
Hence, another mechanism through which Velositol boosts muscle protein synthesis is via enhancement of the myokine signaling pathway.
WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE FOR VELOSITOL?
The standard recommended dosage of Velositol is two grams, to be precise. It should also be noted that Velositol is clinically proven to work with just one single dose.
Research has found that if you add a two-gram dose of Velositol into six grams of whey protein, it can lead to a 48% increase in muscle protein synthesis from the baseline compared to a 24% increase with only six grams of whey protein.
This was discovered when looking at 10 healthy men and women aged between 22 to 34 years old in a study. These results have also been determined in protein shakes, protein powders, protein bars, and energy bars.
Timing is crucial, and taking the protein pre- or post-workout has been shown to increase the rate at which muscle protein synthesis occurs.
THE BENEFITS OF VELOSITOL
Velositol and protein are like a perfect marriage where both parts complement each other in the most effective ways possible.
LET’S LOOK AT SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF VELOSITOL.
- It has the ability to improve common protein supplements due to its various unique qualities, such as the mechanism of action.
- Velositol can boost muscle capacity, and it is tricky to replicate, so that makes this ingredient a unique product in the market.
- It helps support greater amino acid take up in our muscles which leads to more muscle intake.
- One of the most important benefits is that it improves the body’s ability to repair damaged muscle and improves the recovery process. This is because of how Velositol can help boost muscle protein synthesis.
- Velositol has also been shown to work with other amino acids and proteins, which makes it a super versatile ingredient. It is not limited to whey protein alone, as it can effectively enhance muscle protein synthesis when combined with BCAAs and even plant-based proteins.
- One of its most unique benefits would be that it works perfectly in just one single dose. So, you do not need to take this ingredient for weeks to achieve any type of saturation or build-up in order to achieve all the benefits.
IS VELOSITOL SAFE?
Now that we have solid base knowledge about this new and trending ingredient in the market and its benefits, let’s find out whether Velositol is considered safe to use and consume.
As mentioned in the beginning, Velositol is a GRAS-certified ingredient, and it has not been shown to create or cause any issues or side effects in any of the research to date.
Besides that, some people are worried that a high protein intake can have adverse effects on the kidney and liver if taken at higher doses over time. But, Nutrition21 has shown in their pre-clinical data that Velositol does not have any negative impact on liver and kidney function.
Instead, Velositol potentially leads to healthy liver function as shown by a decrease in enzymes level, alanine transaminase (ALT), and aspartate transaminase (AST). ALT and AST are the standard indicators of kidney and liver issues.
Therefore, it is safe to say that Velositol is safe to consume, as it has no proven adverse effects and rather more positive and health advantages.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT VELOSITOL
Let’s look at some of the important things that you should know about Velositol before you decided to open up your wallet and start using this powerful ingredient in your supplement regimen.
- It makes the power of protein double its baseline. A study has shown that the combination of amylopectin and chromium present in Velositol doubles up the muscle protein synthesis rate compared to what protein can do alone.
- It can work in one single dose, which sets it apart from many ingredients on the market today that need to be taken over the course of weeks to see any sort of benefits.
- In a pre-clinical study, it was shown that muscle protein synthesis has the ability to increase with just one single dose of Velositol mixed with six grams of whey protein. This is of great significance, as it makes this ingredient very effective, and you don’t even need to take it for weeks to start experiencing and seeing the benefits.
- It is quite a versatile ingredient, as it can work with other proteins and amino acids, such as protein shakes, protein powder, protein bars, nutrition bars, and meal replacements.
- It can help increase lean body mass and promote faster muscle recovery post-workout.
- It can help boost muscle strength which can lead to more significant gains in lean muscle mass.
- Velositol enhances insulinogenic function. The combination of chromium and amylopectin supports greater amino acid uptake into the muscle cells and promotes muscle protein synthesis.
- Muscle protein synthesis begins right after you start working out, and it can even continue for more than 48 hours post-workout. Velositol is designed in such a way that it can boost the increase in muscle protein synthesis from exercise and protein intake.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND VELOSITOL
The manufacturer of Velositol, Nutrition21, offers ingredient solutions to some of the most popular and successful brands in the consumer marketplace.
There are many beneficial ingredients in the Nutrition21 portfolio that it’s worth taking a look at the Nutrition21 website. Velositol has indeed powered some of the most popular brands on store shelves today.
Overall, through many studies, Velositol has proved to be one of the most promising ingredients in the sports nutrition industry.
In fact, Velositol is now an ingredient that is commonly used in various protein powder supplements that works with one single dose to improve muscle protein synthesis.
If you are looking to gain an additional edge, then it is pretty evident that the pros of using Velositol are quite impressive. There is no reason as to why you should not try Velositol along with your protein powder to help improve the growth of lean muscle tissue.